Monday, October 22, 2012

The Blessing of Losing a Job, Part 2




An Example of Excess in My Home--But She Sure is Cute!

I wrote last time about how my husband's job loss ended up being a blessing to our family.  We were refined in the process and surer of God.  Our family was stronger and tighter.  All great things...

But God has used a few books, recently, to further change me and "wreck" my comfortable life.  It's all good but I think it makes me even "weirder" and less mainstream than I was before.  So that is interesting:)  I guess I am just getting more comfortable not being a "normal" American.

Here are the books--one of them could even be considered "dangerous" to read.  They all required action on my part after I read them...so read at your own risk!

    One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

This book changed my perspective on life. I love the way she describes everything around us as God expressing His love for us--if we would only pay attention!  Children's kisses, sunsets, mountains, steaming soup, a husband's laugh--all blessings from God to be counted and enjoyed.  This book I read awhile ago and the lessons apply to every season and help in every situation.  We are unbelievably blessed by God, every day!  I want to live like it!

Here is a link to Ann discussing her journey that will bless.


                                                7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess   

7; An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker

This one really wrecked me.  It showed me, in a new and painful way, the excess in my life and how that kept me from seeing and responding to the needs of others.  I had put off reading it because it sounded heavy when other people talked about it, but it was actually a very FUNNY read.  The author makes it as enjoyable as possible to acknowledge the areas of one's own life that are out of balance. 

I feel like this book freed me to be content with, and grateful for, what I have--and that is a beautiful, life altering thing!  It also stoked the fire to give in a new way and to re prioritize my life.  I am excited by what this book did to my heart.  It made me a better person.  It revealed some ugly attitudes and habits in my life.  I really want excess out of my house and heart. God really used this book to change my life!  I so desire to make sure this change sticks, though, and is not just a phase.  I am asking God for a permanent heart change.

Here is a recent interview with the author and what changes have stuck in her house since she wrote the book.  She is so real and funny--and is always entertaining!

My college suite mate, Robin Ann, is blogging right now as she goes through seven, 40 day fasts focused on the areas of excess discussed in this book.  I think you will be inspired as you read what God is teaching her as she looks to Him to shape her life.

              Nehemiah: A Heart That Can Break Member Book (Living Room)
Nehemiah; A Heart that can Break by Kelly Minter

This is a Bible study on the book of Nehemiah that I am currently doing.  What I took away from the study right away is that though I care about the poor, I don't know the poor.  I don't have friends that are poor.  I don't know the name of one poor person living in my county.  Did you know that if you make $50,000 a year you are in the top 1% of the world's population?  If you are reading this you are most certainly rich by the world's standards.  If you have a bed, an extra change of clothes, and some food in a cupboard or fridge you are abundantly blessed.

God is doing something in my heart that has me focused, in a new way, on children living in poverty.  I cry when I think about what I might do (my passion is so strong) but I realize that unless I live differently and sacrifice I won't ever be able to do what God is calling me to do.  I want my heart to stay soft and my eyes to look to Him to guide me as I seek to do His will and live out what He created me to do and be.

So now I add reluctant consumer to my growing list of what separates me from mainstream America.  If I am to give in the way that God is calling me to, I have to live my life and use my resources differently than I have in the past.  I still have a  lot to process to determine what this will look like in my life long term.

But I wanted to write a post about these books because I thought they might be of interest to some of you.  Maybe you've felt nudging toward a different way than the world's way.  If so, I highly recommend all three of these books!  I am grateful to have had the opportunity to read them and evaluate my life and attitudes from a different and better perspective.  Growing is good...

Has a book recently changed your perspective or caused you to grow in a new way?  I want to hear about it!  Please share with me!



4 comments:

  1. My curiosity is piqued. I would not have come across these titles in any of my other circles. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I hope something of our journey can be a blessing to you.

      Delete
  2. Oohhh Meredith! post about being changed through reading.... my kind of stuff! Thanks for the recommendation of Nehemiah. I will have to get it. The things that you are saying about this read are things I have been recently convicted by as well. Have you read "Under the Overpass" by Mike Yankowski or "Radical" by David Platt? Those two worked havoc on my own heart on the same topics you seem to be considering now. Thanks for sharing friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read those two, Robin Ann! Thank you so much for the recommendations! I just LOVE reading and love the way a book can change your life.

      Delete