Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Healthy Bed--Finally!

We love our bed!  It doesn't matter where we are sleeping and how nice the bed is, Tim and I always miss our bed.  It is comfortable, but what I love about it goes way beyond the comfort factor--it is a non toxic bed that improves our health as we sleep! 

Have you ever heard of Earthing?  As simple as walking barefoot in the soil, Earthing (also called Grounding), can calm and and help the body heal.  Here is an excellent article about what grounding can do for you!

We sleep with a grounding sheet and an electric field shield on our bed.  Both were suggested to us by our Building Biologist, Larry Gust.  The electric field shield helps protect the body from the stress of electric shields in the environment.  Here is more information from Larry's website:   http://gustenviro.com/electrical_sensitivity.html 

The grounding sheet helps the body heal quicker, sleep more deeply, and get better quality sleep.  Many athletes use this product and it was tested on the US Tour de France team with beneficial results.  Both are connected to our bed via a telephone line, leading out to a grounding stake, pounded into the dirt outside our home.  Sounds complicated but it was easy to do.  Now we are getting the benefits of grounding and protection from electric fields while we sleep.

Here is the rest of our bed--from mattress to comforter detailed below:

Mattress:  We have a latex mattress from Custom Comfort.  I had my doctor write a prescription for a mattress without flame retardants so our mattress was made especially for us without these toxins.  The kids have organic matons (half mattress, half futons) from Lifekind and my son has the bed and drawers pictured below also.

Organic Dust Mite Barrier and Bed Bug Barrier Mattress Cover from Lifekind  I have read that a pillow that is two years old is 10% heavier in weight from dead dust mites and their feces.  This keeps the dust mites out.

  


Wool Pillowtop with Organic Cotton Cover from Lifekind  This keeps body temperature regulated, wicks away moisture, and wool is naturally resists dust mites.  The kids do not have this.




Organic Flannel Mattress Pad from Lifekind  This protects the wool pillow top as it can be easily laundered.



Organic Sateen Sheet Set from Lifekind  These are very well made, soft sheets that last and last.




All Season Wool Comforter with Organic Cover from Lifekind  We remove this in the summer because my husband runs really warm but I could comfortably use it all year long.  It is covered in an organic duvet cover from a sheet set we purchased a while back.  The kids have a organic, cotton, basket weave blanket from Lifekind instead.


Wool pillow for me and a customizable wool wrapped natural shredded rubber pillow for Tim.  Both from Lifekind



Organic Dust Mite and Bed Bug Resistant Barrier Pillow Covers from Lifekind


Moneysaver:
We purchased all of the above a little at a time, as Lifekind had sales.  Right now they are running a 25% off everything sale and sometimes you can save much more!  My goal was to have all materials on the beds in my home toxin free but I had to take my time and buy things a few at a time.  The first things I bought were organic pillows, barrier covers, and organic pjs.  I sleep in organic t-shirts and cotton shorts that I purchased at Walmart for $3.00 or $4.00 each.   The kids sleep in organic pjs from Hanna Andersson which I purchased from the Hanna Anderson outlet very inexpensively. I figured what was on the body and under the nose was the most impactful.  Then I purchased the other items as we were able and when there was a really big sale.

Due to allergies and health issues in our family, our doctor wrote a prescription for an organic, toxin free bedroom and the supplies above were tax deductible.  The amount that was tax deductible was the amount over and above what a typical item would cost.

4 comments:

  1. Earthing is Not the same as grounding. Grounding is connecting to the midle of the earth with you energy ( this is very simple explanation). Earthing I would say is electrical discharge.
    Namaste,
    JAvDijk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing what you know, JAvDijik! I obviously don't totally understand the science behind grounding but I feel so much better after sleeping with our grounding pad, electric field shield, and our power turned off at night. The difference is huge for me. Thanks again for commenting and I appreciate your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Merideth

    I am in the process of setting up a non toxic bedroom. Hoping i can get the doctor to write up a prescription this week so I can write off for taxes - what should he say on prescription and how do you mean you can write off more than the cost ?

    Thanks
    AW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi AW! Our script said "Toxin Free Bed" due to allergies and chemical sensitivities. In regards to what you can write off...if an average queen sheet set is $49.00 and an average organic queen sheet set is $100, then the amount you can write off is $51--the difference of the cost of organic vs. non organic. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete