Wednesday, August 22, 2012

That's Impossible!!! A Toxin Free Deodorant that Actually Works!



My husband is a good sport.  I have made difficult situations, like remodeling after a flood, more challenging because I checked all materials for toxins and pressed for healthier options.  This slowed down the process considerably and he loves to cross items off his "to do" list quickly.  He has been, in his own words, a "late adopter" of many of my green ideas. He is now, however, my biggest supporter in our journey to make our house healthy and safe for our family.  But sometimes he still thinks I am a bit crazy...

The following example of one of my weird ideas is shared with his full permission:)

A long time ago a friend told me about the dangers of regular deodorant/antiperspirant.  I shrugged it off and thought it might be true but I wasn't willing to stink.  I felt this way for many years.

As we started to clean up our home for the kids, I became careful about what soaps and shampoos we used for them.  I started thinking about the deodorant thing and thought I'd better figure this out now so we'd be ready when the kids needed deodorant.  I probably bought ten different health food store "natural" deodorants.  I would go on iherb and read all the reviews, pick the most popular ones, and try them out myself.  Nothing worked!!!  The Crystal worked for a while and then stopped.  I gave up and went back to my trusty "Secret". 

My husband is the most consistent exerciser I have ever known.  He goes to the gym numerous times, every week, as long as I've known him.  He runs in the morning before work.  He also regularly goes on very challenging mountain bike rides lasting hours, with friends, for "fun".  He has always showered twice a day because he stinks after workouts.  He sweats A LOT which is great for detoxifying.  But he needed to buy those REALLY toxic, clinical deodorants to keep from stinking--and even those didn't work so well.  His exercise shirts were hard to launder so they'd smell fresh.  I tried adding vinegar and baking soda to the load.  I'd rewash his shirts a few times.  I was bummed because I couldn't get the sweat smell out of his shirts--ever.

So back to my deodorant quest...I found a make your own recipe that people said worked well.  It was coconut oil based so it was liquid most of the year (coconut oil melts as the weather gets warm) but I would apply it to my underarm with my finger and I was surprised to find it WORKED!  My husband delighted in trying to catch me "stinking" but the new deodorant always worked.  He wouldn't try it, however, because he didn't think it would work for him and all the hard core exercising he does.

One day we were on vacation and he realized he had forgotten his deodorant.  He was going to have to use my homemade deodorant and we were at a theme park all day in the heat.  He was worried!  I was excited!!!  I was hoping it would work and we could throw out the toxic, expensive deodorant he was using that wasn't even working well. 

You can probably guess it worked amazingly well for him!!  No odor after a two hour bike ride in the summer!!  No more stains on his white undershirts.  No more odors on any shirts.  No smell at all--ever!  This deodorant is so amazing that he wants us to sell it:)  Because it really doesn't make sense that there are all these companies making deodorant that doesn't work well, is full of chemicals, and costs lots of money.  And this one works perfectly and is super cheap and easy to make!

Since his conversion, I now am using an even better recipe that works just as well but has some beeswax in it so it stays solid in all temperatures.  I just mix it, cook it, and pour it in an old deodorant bottle---I have tons of them from my days of trying out all the natural ones.

This recipe is adapted from Keeper of the Home and found here.  I omitted the Castor oil in her recipe because I like the texture better without.  I don't use lavender or tea tree oil in mine because of this study showing a link between both and the growth of breasts in boys.  Further study showed the two essential oils mimic the actions of estrogen in the body.  I think it is best to leave them out if there may be a problem with the oils, especially when they are placed so close to the breast tissue.

Here is the recipe with a picture of the ingredients:


I added the following to a saucepan, stirred to combine, and "cooked" over low heat:

5 Tablespoons of coconut oil, 1/4 cup of arrowroot powder, 1/4 cup of aluminum free baking soda, 2 heaping Tablespoons of beeswax pellets--(shown below), and 16 drops of an essential oil to scent (if desired)  Check this list for essential oils to avoid due to their ability to exaggerate hormonal issues.



Heat until the beeswax pellets melt, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.  Pour into two empty, clean deodorant containers like the one pictured below.  I twisted it so the base was all the way at the bottom and ready to receive the liquid deodorant.  This starts to harden right away so you have to work quickly.


Cools completely within a few hours and is ready to use.  Makes 2 containers of deodorant.



Some additional tips...

1.  At the beginning, I needed to wipe this off at night with water so my body could take a break from the abrasiveness of the baking soda in the recipe.  I just put coconut oil on the area over night to soothe.

2.  Some people have a week or so "adjustment period" when starting this.  This is supposed to be your body adjusting to being without the chemicals in the deodorant you used before.  My husband and I did not and were "stink free" right away.

3. You don't need to use much at all.  I place the container to my underarm, twisted up to reveal just a bit of the deodorant, and let it soften a second from my body temperature.  Then I lightly cover the area, without tugging or rubbing as baking soda is abrasive.


Let me know if you try this and how it works for you!!  I hope it ends up being a great improvement over your present situation:)
Moneysaver:  I purchased the arrowroot powder inexpensively on Amazon, the beeswax and baking soda from iherb, and the coconut oil from Trader Joe's.  There is a bit of an investment upfront if you don't have the items already, but the deodorant ends up costing just a few cents to make each time.  If you live near me, I'll happily make you some if you give me an empty container.  Then you can try it first, without purchasing the ingredients.


16 comments:

  1. Great idea Meredith! I have issues about the use of deodorant with all of the chemicals used to rid our bodies of any "stink". Deodorant that contains Aluminum was thought to be unhealthy so I've tried to avoid a product with that chemical additive.
    I want to try your recipe for the healthier alternative. You mentioned that the abrasiveness of the baking soda takes a bit of getting used to. I wonder if you could "sift" it first? Food processor or a flour sifter? I will have to try this and get started on my own healthy deodorant! Love your posts and will continue to try your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought of processing the baking soda a bit to see if that makes it softer! What a great idea! I am going to try it next time! Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. Will it show up on the underarm part of sleeveless shirts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed it happening but I went into my closet to check a few silk, sleeveless blouses I have and the underarm part looks great! I asked my husband and he said occasionally he will notice a little bit of an oily residue when he takes a shirt off but it always comes off in the wash, without any special treatment. His undershirts used to be so discolored around the underarm area and now shirts that are two years old look new!

      Delete
  3. I would love to try this. I wrote down the recipe, but wondered if you could make some extra ones that I could just buy from you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to make you some just because you raised such an amazing son:). He blesses my life every day!

      Delete
    2. Your stuff is amazing Mary, I am impressed.
      Have a good Thanksgiving and God Bless you and your family.

      Mike and Angie

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Michael! You have a wonderful Thanksgiving too! I know Aunt Angie will cook up a storm and it will be amazing!!!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to try this! What a great way to reuse the deodorant containers. Since I have sensitive skin, I was thinking about putting aloe in my first batch. Have you tried this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried adding aloe, Christy. I have very sensitive skin and I found I had to work up to using this by rinsing it off at night before I went to bed. Now I don't need to do this anymore and have no reaction to the deodorant. I would also recommend putting the deodorant to your underarm and waiting a few seconds to let it warm a bit and then it will slide easily over the skin. I hope it works for you!

      Delete
  5. I would love to purchase some from you also, if you ever get into selling this. Please reply if you could do up some small batches for a trial. This could be a great business for you, unless you are already too busy! If you don't, though, I will give it a try, at home. What kind of pot do you use to cook this? I guessing you don't use aluminum, how about non-sick, seems like no. Do you use enamel, iron??? Thank you! Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie!

      We may sell this down the road but aren't selling it right now. I cook this in either a stainless steel pot or my enamel dutch oven. Good luck to you!

      Delete
  6. Im not sure if my other comment posted. I looked at the article on essential oils to avoid and was wondering if you had any more information on this? I didn't see a source to where they got there info so I thought I would ask. Im very new to oils and found it interesting. I love this recipe and just ordered all the stuff from Amazon for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa! I don't know much about essential oils. I am sure you know more than I do! I just kept reading articles about avoiding the use of lavender and tea tree oil for men. It made sense to me to avoid it in deodorant my son or husband would be using. If you google I sure you can find more studies than the ones I linked to in the article. A quick search brought up this study:

    http://www.livestrong.com/article/171036-lavender-oil-male-hormones/

    Hope you love your deodorant! It still works on my husband after all this time which is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used a batch of your deodorant this past year (that you made) and I love it. I tried making my own last night and it just doesn't seem to be the same as yours. Yours smells more like coconut and the consistency is different. Do you have any tips for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you call me? I'm not sure who you are, because your comment is posted as Anonymous, but I'm sure I love you if I gave you deodorant:) It was probably different coconut oil or the essential oils that changed the smell. The consistency is dependent on the beeswax in my experience. Call me and we'll figure it out!

      Delete